Job Type: Full Time
Location: Small Dole, West Sussex
Reporting to: Estimating Manager
The role of the Estimator is to produce a competitive, carefully resourced, analysed tender cost and submit the price and any necessary quality submissions to a client. Works would cover Budgets, Competitive and Negotiated contracts.
To be aware of company targets for new orders and aim to better them with profitable successful bids.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Studying tender documentation and information provided
- Liaison with the client and client’s designer when required
- Taking off quantities
- Site visits and discussions with key subcontractors
- Identifying temporary works design or assessments
- Working with the selected designer on D&B contracts
- Evaluating the programme requirements, developing methods of construction and suitable techniques to enable efficient cost effective resource levels to win bids
- Calculating the net costs of a tender from first principles
- Identify risks or ambiguities and discuss as appropriate with Client/ engineer to start developing a closer working relationship and ‘level the playing field’
- Identify risks to be taken by the company that are subject to the tender (senior manager) review
- Liaising with other staff for support (Buying, Design ,Contracts, QS, Senior Management)
- Ensuring that tenders are submitted on time and are complete
- Handing over successful tenders to Contracts Department upon award
- Liaising with Commercial and Procurement Departments during live contracts.
The company may, from time to time, require you to undertake duties other than those outlined in this job description and/or to undertake work in other departments/sites to meet customer demands. Any changes to this job description will be discussed and agreed with you.
Personal specifications - essential
- GCSE in Maths
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of estimating or pricing variations within a civil engineering company
- Minimum of 4 years site experience
Personal specifications - desirable
- A Level in Maths
- HNC in civil engineering
- Working knowledge of the NEC Conditions of Contract
- Rivers & Coastal Civil Engineering Experience – on site or estimating
- Water Treatment Works Civil Engineering Experience – on site or estimating
- Ground Works (drainage, foundations etc) Civil Engineering Experience – on site or estimating
- Ability to work as a team player within the department
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Project and demonstrate ability to adapt these programs to suit any estimate required.
How to apply
HR Department, J T Mackley & Co Ltd, Bankside House, Henfield Road, Small Dole, West Sussex BN5 9XQ
If you require a paper copy of the application pack please call 01273 492212.