Job Type: Full Time
Location: Plant Department Small Dole
Reporting to: Plant & Fleet Supervisor
The HGV Driver is responsible for the safe transportation of plant, equipment and goods nationally including the collection and delivery from the Mackley yard at Small Dole, various Mackley sites and to/from suppliers as and when required. This will at times include the use of the HGV trailer. The driver is to ensure compliance with transportation legislation and road traffic regulations.
- To undertake daily vehicle checks and ensure that your allocated vehicle is always kept safe and legal. Report any defects immediately to the Plant & Fleet Supervisor.
- To ensure goods are safely loaded, unloaded and secured for transportation.
- To liaise with the Plant & Fleet Supervisor regarding work allocation, and site personnel regarding lorry movements.
- To ensure compliance with Health & Safety, Environmental, Driving and Transportation, and Drivers Hours legislation at all times.
- Plan delivery routes to ensure compliance with legislation and toll charges, congestion charges, etc.
- Ensure digital tachograph data & documentation is accurate and submit to the Plant & Transport Supervisor as required.
- Carry out daily walk around checks before commencing any work and submit to the Plant & Fleet Supervisor daily.
- Accurately record arrival and departure times on site, complete timesheets and ensure your time charged accurately to the appropriate jobs where relevant.
- Ensure delivery and collection tickets are filled out and signed correctly.
- Check that paperwork issued by the site or office matches the plant, equipment and materials being loaded and ensure relevant COSHH paperwork is collected from site before departure. Report any discrepancies to the Site Foreman and Plant & Fleet Supervisor.
- Ensure that your vehicle displays the correct signage in relation to your load, e.g. STGO, ADR, etc., and that the relevant paperwork is carried in the vehicle.
- Follow site rules and comply with health & safety regulations, including the correct use of PPE.
- Ensure risk assessments are in place prior to using the lorry loader crane for loading and unloading (lift operations), or loading tracked or wheeled plant to the vehicle. Ensure loading and unloading is carried out safely and correctly.
- Operate the Hiab effectively and safely (where relevant)
- Ensure vehicle is kept tidy and cleaned regularly, including lubrication of moving parts where relevant.
- Assist other members of the Plant Team in other duties during quieter periods for lorry movements. This will include keeping the yard clean and tidy, washing down dirty plant, completing Pre Delivery Inspection forms, assisting the Stores Facilitator in maintaining the stores.
- In periods of down time for HGV movements, you may also be required to make deliveries of smaller goods using one of the pool vans. You may also be required to operate another HGV to provide holiday cover.
- The company will arrange additional training and certification where the job role requires, but it is your responsibility to ensure that your driving licence is up to date and valid. The company will provide CPC training, but it is also your responsibility to initiate this and ensure that your digital tacho card is updated accordingly.
- The company will never expect you to move or carry any load that is illegal or overweight; you should seek advice from your line manager if you suspect this may be the case.
- You will drive all company vehicles in line with the Companies’ Vehicle and Driving Policy (available on request)
The company may, from time to time, require you to undertake duties other than those outlined in this job description and/or to undertake work in other departments/sites to meet customer demands. Any changes to this job description will be discussed and agreed with you.
- HGV Licence Class 1
- Clean Driving Licence
- Experience in loading / unloading plant and machinery
- Hiab Crane Ticket
- Good Communication Skills
- Digital Tacho Card
- Driver CPC (or working towards)
- Knowledge of Plant
- 360 Excavator CPCS or other internal plant ticket
- CSCS Card
- ADR Certification
How to apply
Click here to download our application pack.
Please complete the application form and return to: email@example.com or by post to the address below:
HR Department, J T Mackley & Co Ltd, Bankside House, Henfield Road, Small Dole, West Sussex BN5 9XQ
If you require a paper copy of the application pack please call 01273 492212.