Job Type: Full Time
Location: Based At Plant Department Small Dole and Mobile to all Mackley Sites
Reporting to: Workshop Foreman
The Plant Fitter will be responsible for the safe and cost-effective repair and maintenance of all company plant, vehicles and equipment, without harm to people, the environment and targeting zero defects.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Carry out preventative and routine maintenance including servicing, in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations of all company equipment. Attend machine breakdowns on site and effect repairs to ensure minimum down time. Trouble shoot and fault find any defects on plant and tools and carry out repairs as necessary.
- Attend sites to carry out emergency breakdowns of plant and vehicles as directed by the Workshop Foreman , and carry out preventative maintenance on equipment as required.
- Order spares for plant and vehicles from the companies network of suppliers ensuring best value at all times.
- Assist the Plant Manager in promoting a safe environmental and quality culture, this will include preparing service records and engineers reports as required.
- Maintain the workshop in a clean and tidy environment.
- All safety and environmental rules are followed including ensuring that that appropriate PPE is worn.
- Fully complete service and inspection records for all company plant and vehicles and submit to Plant Manager for scrutiny and filing.
- Utilise tools and equipment correctly and safely. Ensure Spill Kits are deployed and are disposed of safely and effectively back at the yard.
- Ensure waste minimisation including waste segregation and safe disposal.
- Bringing perceived errors to attention of the Plant Manager.
- Taking responsibility for security of vehicles, equipment and premises as appropriate.
- Carry out risk assessments before commencing work on plant and equipment. Ensure compliance with method statements and risk assessments, as required.
- Ensuring that plant has been inspected, tested and tagged ready for hire prior to delivery to site.
- Taking telephone messages from sites and suppliers whilst ensuring high levels of customer service are maintained.
- Ensure spares and oils are booked to the correct job and liaise with the Plant Manager and Stores Facilitator to ensure stock/spares are maintained, minimising waste and over ordering.
- Assisting in the training and development of apprentices.
- Give support to the Yard and Stores staff as required.
- Attend Site Induction and work within site rules.
- Work effectively as a member of the Plant Team.
- Must maintain vehicle in a clean and tidy condition.
- Timekeeping & Productivity.
- Safe working environment and maintain standards of Health and Safety, Environment and Quality.
The company may, from time to time, require you to undertake duties other than those outlined in this job description and/or to undertake work in other departments/sites to meet customer demands. Any changes to this job description will be discussed and agreed with you.
Personal specifications - essential
- Have worked within the Construction Industry
- At least 5 years experience in working with heavy plant
- Have a complete set of their own hand tools, adequate to carry out the job.
- Comfortable communicating with their colleagues and external suppliers/clients
- A logical and organised individual who takes ownership and can make responsible decisions
- Able to work at high concentration levels to ensure ‘right 1st time’
- Can prioritise with good time management
- A team player who can enjoy a challenge
- Demonstrate competence in the maintenance and repair of heavy plant and equipment
- Flexible working hours to accommodate emergency and site requirements
- Full Driving Licence
Personal specifications - desirable
- Hold CPCS tickets for tracked excavators and other plant as required.
- Hold CSCS Card
- NVQ Level 2 Diploma or equivalent in Construction Plant or Machinery Maintenance.
How to apply
HR Department, J T Mackley & Co Ltd, Bankside House, Henfield Road, Small Dole, West Sussex BN5 9XQ
If you require a paper copy of the application pack please call 01273 492212.